HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 
 

 PίӄєlєT's Guide to an FPS

View previous topic View next topic Go down 

Guide Ratings
10/10
14%
 14% [ 1 ]
9/10
14%
 14% [ 1 ]
8/10
29%
 29% [ 2 ]
7/10
14%
 14% [ 1 ]
6/10
14%
 14% [ 1 ]
5/10
0%
 0% [ 0 ]
4/10
0%
 0% [ 0 ]
3/10
0%
 0% [ 0 ]
2/10
0%
 0% [ 0 ]
It sucked dick
14%
 14% [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 7
 

AuthorMessage
Pikelet

avatar

Posts : 740
Reputation : -1
Age : 20
Location : Pikeleton, Superzoslavia

PostSubject: PίӄєlєT's Guide to an FPS   Thu Jul 01, 2010 1:15 am

This is a quick little thing I wipped up this afternoon Wink

Tell me if I missed anything and what needs improving, and rate it in the poll.


Quote :
PίӄєlєT's Guide To
First Person Shooters


So, you want to play FPS, you say? Well then, let me introduce you to some of the basics required to master near any FPS. I'll start with the basics, then as we progress through it I will begin to introduce newer and more complicated...stuff.


Movement

Its a good idea to know how to move. However setting up your controls for movement can be a little confusing at first; most people use the WASD keys for movement, however I use the arrow keys, because, well, they make more sense that way. Its also more comfortable, however that's just my opinion.

Here are the general layouts:

W: Forward
S: Backward
A: Strafe Left
D: Strafe Right
Spacebar: Jump
Left Control: Crouch
Left Shift: Sprint or Walk (Only in some games)

However for this guide, I will be teaching you my layout. Despite being at the opposite end of the keyboard, my layout is very similar:

Up, Down, Left and Right Arrows: Forward, Backward, Left and Right respectively.
Mousewheel (press): Jump
Right Control: Crouch
Right Shift: Sprint or Walk (only in some games)

Some games have trouble recognizing the Right Control key, so sometimes I have to make an exception and leave Control blank. When I do this I make the Right Shift key crouch, and backslash sprint.


Weapons


Now for the good stuff: WEAPONS. This section is pretty simple, there's not much to change.

Left Mouse Button: Fire
Right Mouse Button: Alternate Fire (or scope)
Mousewheel: Up for previous weapon, down for next weapon.

One difference is the Reload key, I bind it to Slash instead of the default R. There's a reason for this in Combat Tactics.

I also have all my weapons bound to the numbers on the NumPad, however if there are more than 9 weapons, I bind certain ones to the keys around, leaving NumPad Zero free, because I usually need that for another purpose, like in Crossfire I use it for defusing bombs.


Miscellaneous


This section covers things such as Use keys and other special keys. Some games will have keys unique to them, so you will have to bind them to a key somewhere close to your arrow keys, where you can reach them easily, providing that you actually need to use these keys.

Prone: Page Down (not very common)
Use: Enter
Lean Left: Insert (VERY uncommon)
Lean Right: Page Up (VERY uncommon)
Nightvision/Flashlight: NumPad Zero

There will be many more options around, differing with the games. Simply bind these to keys that you can reach easily.


Combat Tactics


Now the guide gets interesting and detailed.

You've learnt what keys I say you should bind your controls to, and with the layout provided have probably owned a few newbies (or if you're an offline player normally, bots), but to stand up against the big guns you need some good tactics and maneuvers. This section covers those, with the tactics I use to win the day.

STRAFING:
This is THE most important thing. ALWAYS strafe from left to right or whatever during combat. Standing still or walking in a straight line like a dumby WILL get you killed. Make sure you don't strafe too far in any one direction however. Keep it short and random.

CHECK YOUR SIX
This is very important in FFA (free-for-all) deathmatches. At regular intervals, make sure you glance round behind you. Many people have walked all the way across the map with a guy walking behind them waving a knife and haven't noticed. If you're playing a scary horror game like Doom 3, this is very important as many monsters are set to spawn behind you.

LOOK BOTH WAYS BEFORE CROSSING THE ROAD
The name says it all; when you come to a junction, look down all the other paths before going down one yourself. I've had much fun killing people as they walk past me in junctions, follow this advice and make sure you aren't one of them.

RELOAD AFTER COMBAT
This is important in games that have weapons that take long periods of time to reload, like Doom 3. After every battle, reload your main weapon ASAP so that you don't end up getting caught short of ammo. Sure you just killed two Hell Knights but then you got killed by a single Imp because you ran out of ammo.

FIRE IN BURSTS
Many people get an automatic weapon in their hands and upon spotting an enemy do what is known as "spraying". This is where they hold down fire until they run out of ammo. This is a stupid thing to do. It ruins your accuracy and eats ammunition like crap. ALWAYS fire in controlled bursts against vulnerable targets such as the head, taking note that groin shots do NOT deal increased damage.

SPRINT
Its there to be used. DO NOT try to fire while sprinting.

Finally, JUMP A LOT
This makes you even harder to hit, and while it ruins your aim is great for filling in time while reloading. It can also make your enemies tired, trying to track you.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://lh3.ggpht.com/_dlkAw43cLC0/SSgREVIZzsI/AAAAAAAAA9w/hF-tMb
Fakafon

avatar

Posts : 368
Reputation : 3453
Age : 27
Location : Canada , Quebec, Montreal

PostSubject: Re: PίӄєlєT's Guide to an FPS   Thu Jul 01, 2010 3:18 am

Not too bad Pikey. Personaly, I would've had another 5 paragraphs talking aboot pistols, but that's me.

I like how you talk about strafing and jumping = ) I usualy call it the Bunny Hop or the Spaz technique.

You've kept your guide nice and simple, so I'll give a good 8 on that.

However if ya really want to expand, you could go on more details about weapons tactics too, like what you did with BURST.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.youtube.com/fakafon
Fakafon

avatar

Posts : 368
Reputation : 3453
Age : 27
Location : Canada , Quebec, Montreal

PostSubject: Re: PίӄєlєT's Guide to an FPS   Thu Jul 01, 2010 3:20 am

For example : using pistols usualy means you'll reload faster, move faster but will lack the stopping power necessary to kills ennemies. But it ALSO means that in a heavy firefight, you will get the least priority. People tend to aim the guy with the rocket launcher more than the guy with a wimpy pistols. And yeah, pistols are usualy the weakest weapons in a game, but they're by FAR the manliest. Oh yeaaaaah!

It's like bringing a dagger agaisnt a freaking army of soldiers and WINNING! Booyah ya fucking BITCHES!
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.youtube.com/fakafon
Pikelet

avatar

Posts : 740
Reputation : -1
Age : 20
Location : Pikeleton, Superzoslavia

PostSubject: Re: PίӄєlєT's Guide to an FPS   Thu Jul 01, 2010 4:05 am

Hmm, I see what you mean.

Well, I did just write it in about 5 minutes so yeah, lol.

I'll add to it from time to time, and nice comments Smile


And who the hell voted that it "sucked dick"? If there's something you hate about it tell me what it is; its still a WIP.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://lh3.ggpht.com/_dlkAw43cLC0/SSgREVIZzsI/AAAAAAAAA9w/hF-tMb
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: PίӄєlєT's Guide to an FPS   Thu Jul 01, 2010 11:56 am

Are you left-handed?
Back to top Go down
AKoN
Admin
Admin
avatar

Posts : 1304
Reputation : -99
Age : 22
Location : Texas

PostSubject: Re: PίӄєlєT's Guide to an FPS   Thu Jul 01, 2010 2:56 pm

7/10

_________________



COPWATS Grand Stagger Master Supreme Rape Fest King
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Pikelet

avatar

Posts : 740
Reputation : -1
Age : 20
Location : Pikeleton, Superzoslavia

PostSubject: Re: PίӄєlєT's Guide to an FPS   Thu Jul 01, 2010 8:37 pm

No, I am right handed. But for some reason I never felt comfortable playing with the WASD keys, so I never did Very Happy



And Fakafon, a thought; this is a guide to ALL FPS games (excluding "high realism" games like Operation Flashpoint), including a list of strategies with weapons would be life-ending. But anyway, if you want to read about weapons in a particular game...read the manual, lol.


I was bored one afternoon, I felt like spilling the beans on good FPS tactics and since I'm one of the best in my English classes Razz I thought I'd just throw together a quick guide.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://lh3.ggpht.com/_dlkAw43cLC0/SSgREVIZzsI/AAAAAAAAA9w/hF-tMb
Desolate



Posts : 494
Reputation : 23
Age : 26
Location : Pennsylvania, US

PostSubject: Re: PίӄєlєT's Guide to an FPS   Thu Jul 01, 2010 11:12 pm

Pikelet wrote:
and since I'm one of the best in my English classes Razz I thought I'd just throw together a quick guide.

Well our special guy deserves a cookie, doesn't he? What a Face
Back to top Go down
View user profile
RaptorMistikan
#1 Spammer
#1 Spammer
avatar

Posts : 419
Reputation : -79
Location : DA MOON

PostSubject: Re: PίӄєlєT's Guide to an FPS   Fri Jul 02, 2010 2:16 am

hey....im also good in english.well.. not the best cuase im in the "banded" class.

which means im with all the smart nerds
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: PίӄєlєT's Guide to an FPS   Fri Jul 02, 2010 6:15 am

Pikelet wrote:
No, I am right handed. But for some reason I never felt comfortable playing with the WASD keys, so I never did Very Happy

Im left-handed! (:
Back to top Go down
Pikelet

avatar

Posts : 740
Reputation : -1
Age : 20
Location : Pikeleton, Superzoslavia

PostSubject: Re: PίӄєlєT's Guide to an FPS   Fri Jul 02, 2010 6:36 am

The good guys are always left-handed Very Happy
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://lh3.ggpht.com/_dlkAw43cLC0/SSgREVIZzsI/AAAAAAAAA9w/hF-tMb
RaptorMistikan
#1 Spammer
#1 Spammer
avatar

Posts : 419
Reputation : -79
Location : DA MOON

PostSubject: Re: PίӄєlєT's Guide to an FPS   Fri Jul 02, 2010 7:33 am

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Fakafon

avatar

Posts : 368
Reputation : 3453
Age : 27
Location : Canada , Quebec, Montreal

PostSubject: Re: PίӄєlєT's Guide to an FPS   Fri Jul 02, 2010 9:56 am

An all games FPS strategy guide? Don't worry, I read that.

Fine then! DON'T talk about pistols = (
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.youtube.com/fakafon
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: PίӄєlєT's Guide to an FPS   Fri Jul 02, 2010 10:27 am

Pikelet wrote:
The good guys are always left-handed Very Happy

Yes. (:
Back to top Go down
AKoN
Admin
Admin
avatar

Posts : 1304
Reputation : -99
Age : 22
Location : Texas

PostSubject: Re: PίӄєlєT's Guide to an FPS   Fri Jul 02, 2010 3:51 pm

I'm actually left handed too Razz

_________________



COPWATS Grand Stagger Master Supreme Rape Fest King
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: PίӄєlєT's Guide to an FPS   Fri Jul 02, 2010 4:54 pm

AKoN wrote:
I'm actually left handed too Razz

Lies :O
Back to top Go down
AKoN
Admin
Admin
avatar

Posts : 1304
Reputation : -99
Age : 22
Location : Texas

PostSubject: Re: PίӄєlєT's Guide to an FPS   Fri Jul 02, 2010 6:19 pm

PullingPanda wrote:
AKoN wrote:
I'm actually left handed too Razz

Lies :O
I would never!

_________________



COPWATS Grand Stagger Master Supreme Rape Fest King
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: PίӄєlєT's Guide to an FPS   Fri Jul 02, 2010 6:52 pm

AKoN wrote:
PullingPanda wrote:
AKoN wrote:
I'm actually left handed too Razz

Lies :O
I would never!

Are you sure?
Back to top Go down
Desolate



Posts : 494
Reputation : 23
Age : 26
Location : Pennsylvania, US

PostSubject: Re: PίӄєlєT's Guide to an FPS   Fri Jul 02, 2010 7:44 pm

Who ever said this sucked dick can suck one them self!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Pikelet

avatar

Posts : 740
Reputation : -1
Age : 20
Location : Pikeleton, Superzoslavia

PostSubject: Re: PίӄєlєT's Guide to an FPS   Fri Jul 02, 2010 8:18 pm

When I said that, I was partially referring to the fact that Tom was left-handed.


EDIT: Aside from the rogue 0/10 I see mostly good ratings. cheers

What I'll try and do is provide strategies for...idk how what its called, haha: For example, a strategy for a spread weapon, a strategy for a splash weapon, etc.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://lh3.ggpht.com/_dlkAw43cLC0/SSgREVIZzsI/AAAAAAAAA9w/hF-tMb
Fakafon

avatar

Posts : 368
Reputation : 3453
Age : 27
Location : Canada , Quebec, Montreal

PostSubject: Re: PίӄєlєT's Guide to an FPS   Fri Jul 02, 2010 8:27 pm

Spread weapons : Startegy number one. Try not to snipe with them, for their big innacuracy makes them kinda pointless that way.

Numbah two : A spread gun is best used in places with small narrow corridors or, if you're the manly type, inside a huge brawl with 16 people firefighting everywhere. Maybe you won't kill much, but boy will you be annoying.

And last tip : Remember that most spread guns ( I.E the shotgun ) reloads slowly, but can still be fired WHILE you reload. Use that to lure idi... other players near you and shoot them in the face.

I might seem a little aggressive here, but I hate online players! I HATE 'EM!

Just kidding. I just hate douchebags in general.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.youtube.com/fakafon
RaptorMistikan
#1 Spammer
#1 Spammer
avatar

Posts : 419
Reputation : -79
Location : DA MOON

PostSubject: Re: PίӄєlєT's Guide to an FPS   Sun Jul 04, 2010 3:09 am

heres a good tip:if its a sniper game and some noobs wanna knife you,dun run away.instead get as close as possible to them and fire the sniper.(AWM is best at this)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Pikelet

avatar

Posts : 740
Reputation : -1
Age : 20
Location : Pikeleton, Superzoslavia

PostSubject: Re: PίӄєlєT's Guide to an FPS   Sun Jul 04, 2010 4:00 am

Or if its a 2v2 TDM, sniper only and one of the guys one your team doesn't even HAVE a sniper, use this to your advantage by wandering around with the knife, and your enemies will simply present themselves to you.


Or they'll get mixed up, I shot a guy in the legs through a window, he was standing on a box and couldn't see me, and mistook me for the knifer.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://lh3.ggpht.com/_dlkAw43cLC0/SSgREVIZzsI/AAAAAAAAA9w/hF-tMb
XenoVC

avatar

Posts : 140
Reputation : 4
Location : California

PostSubject: Re: PίӄєlєT's Guide to an FPS   Sun Jul 04, 2010 6:09 am

Desolate wrote:
Who ever said this sucked dick can suck one them self!

<3
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content




PostSubject: Re: PίӄєlєT's Guide to an FPS   

Back to top Go down
 
PίӄєlєT's Guide to an FPS
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1
 Similar topics
-
» guthans guide
» ___A Guide to Ranging Mithril Dragons___
» Basic Guide for slayer task monsters
» Weekly Episode guide and have you ever wanted to..?
» Anti LAG guide

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Raptor Elite Forum :: General :: Public Forum-
Jump to: